Environmental Challenge Confronted:
At Schiphol Airport we support the ‘Circular Economy and the Cradle to Cradle’ philosophy.
Resources & Residuals is one of our five sustainability themes. Within this theme we have committed ourselves to:
- Closed loop design & procurement of Circular Supplies
- Maximize resource efficiency:
- Maximize reuse and recycling and to eliminate waste
We aim to introduce residual streams at the highest possible level in the waste hierarchy. For example: all of Schiphol’s runway lamps are being replaced by LED lighting. And what about the old lamps? They are not thrown away but refurbished and turned into vintage lighting for domestic use.
Another reuse example: the coming years, all of the passenger boarding bridges at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol are going to be replaced. To prevent them from just ending up in landfills, we went looking for applications for responsible reuse.
We came up with 5 possibilities to reuse the passenger bridges, which we consider the most promising in terms of People, Planet and Profit.
- Outdoor space for individuals (e.g. home office, hobby room or shed)
- Office space (e.g. conference unit or flexible workplace)
- Storage space (e.g. building materials storage)
- Retail (e.g. pop up store or promotional unit)
- Exhibition space (e.g. at events, or as a temporary museum unit)
In both the old lamps as the old passenger bridges we reached our goals of conserving value and eliminating waste.
On social media we received positive reactions from our staff and public from all over the world.
Best Practice Undertaken:
1. No remakes, no fakes, only the Best of the Past